The better informed you are about your target market, their demographics and requirements, the more specifically you will be able to tailor your strategy to meet their needs.
There are a number of sources that can help you gain a better understanding of other businesses in Australia, and help you promote your products and services. The latest release of census figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) can provide B2B marketing professionals and businesses with a great insight into their target audience.
To save you the time and effort of trawling through huge volumes of facts and figures, here are 10 statistics that may help you with your B2B marketing:
- 63.8 percent of full time employees are male.
- 59.7 percent of employees are employed full time.
- 60.2 percent of people drive to work.
- 75 percent of health and education graduates are female.
- The train is the most popular mode of public transport, with 3.9 percent of people commuting to work this way.
- Professional occupations make up 21percent of total industry in Australia, making them the largest segment of industry. This includes sales, marketing and public relations, human resources, and design and engineering.
- 67.9 percent of part time workers are female.
- Retail trade has fallen from the highest employment industry in 2006, to the second highest at 10 percent.
- There has been a 52.8 percent increase in those who hold postgraduate qualifications between 2006 and 2011.
- Mining is the fastest growing employment industry, with an increase of 65 percent from 2006.
When you are trying to market yourself to other businesses, having a broader understanding of who is employed by those businesses can help you to better target your marketing strategy. By increasing your appeal to the individuals within an organisation, you can hopefully expand your business and improve sales at the same time.
As well as helping you to determine your marketing strategy, understanding where your target market spends time can give you an idea of which mediums will yield better results. This can help you save vast amounts of time and money on your marketing efforts, and reduce the chance of wasted effort.
If you want to target employees on their way to work every morning, knowing how they commute may give you an idea of when and where to place advertising material. Understanding their education level, gender and other useful statistics can make it easier for you to design your marketing material and message to better appeal to them.
With a comprehensive understanding of the full picture, business to business marketing can be made a lot easier and less risky, and hopefully yield much better results than taking an uninformed shot in the dark. If you have the information available, why not make use of it and see what happens?