You can ignore social media, but that won’t make it go away. Here’s how to manage when it goes off the rails.
All publicity is good publicity? The rules on that have certainly changed in the social-media era. Companies need to take care to avoid a social-media meltdown like Applebee’s experienced earlier this year.
In case you missed it, here’s what happened:
- Applebee’s customer writes a snide note referencing God and leaves no tip for waitress.
- Waitress posts receipt on Reddit, with visible signature.
- Reddit readers respond, overwhelmingly in favor of the waitress.
- Applebee’s fires the waitress.
- Social media explodes. Applebee’s takes a public beating.
You want to avoid this type of thing. There is no guaranteed way to do so, but here are eight tips to help you avoid the pitfalls that Applebee’s fell into.
…to read this article in full, visit leading US small business resource, Inc.