Increasing efficiency and familiarity with your personnel are the key resolutions Leadership Management Australasia (LMA) advises workplace leaders and managers to adopt in the new year.
The organisation released two reports, 5 Key New Year’s Resolutions to Increase Your Performance and 5 Key Leadership Management Issues from 2011 to Drive Success in 2012, which are based on the company’s ongoing Leadership Employment and Direction Survey.
It found the biggest issues that surfaced for organisations in 2011 were:
- Job satisfaction;
- Staff turnover;
- Skills shortages;
- Generational disharmony; and
- A rise in the importance of human resources management.
LMA chief executive Andrew Henderson said with these big issues now clearly apparent, it was up to business leaders and managers to seriously consider each issue and the potential for it to impact on their organisation, and to develop specific plans to address each issue.
“Failure to address these critical issues will have a detrimental effect on the success of an organisation in 2012,” he said. “Planning relies on reflection, to look back to identify what has worked and what hasn’t.”
LMA’s New Year resolutions for leaders and managers are:
- Make the best use of the resources you have.
- Get to know your people better.
- Lead everyone to focus on goal setting and high payoff activities.
- Communicate, communicate, communicate.
- Eat the ‘elephant’ one bite-sized chunk at a time.