We’ve got auditors in the office this week going through all our accounts. Now having auditors in isn’t really the sort of thing that sparks images of fun times, but I did enjoy one particular moment.
That was when they wandered over to my desk to let me know there were some missing invoices for our office furniture. When I asked what they meant, they motioned around the fully kitted out office and said they could only find invoices for $1100, so were wondering where the rest were.
The enjoyable part was being able to tell them they had everything! To be exact:
– 26 desks, only one year old, bought from a corporate upgrading their CBD office: $500
– Boardroom table with 10 chairs, plus meeting room table and two coffee tables, bought from an office neighbour moving out: $100
– 15 office chairs, bought from a physiotherapy practice closing down (so nice and ergonomically friendly!): $100
– Fridge, bought from a notice in the office lift: $100
– Miscellaneous items like stationery cabinet and coat racks, bought on eBay: $150
– Sofa, bought on eBay from an English backpacker going home: $150 (though not our best effort, as the photo was a serious misrepresentation and we’ve since ditched the sofa)
– Various other items from team members’ garages: free
So all up – $1100!
It’s fair to say that I haven’t enjoyed all of the auditor’s questions, but I did enjoy that one.
Rohan Gamble is the Founder and Managing Director of independent finance comparison website Mozo.com.au – helping Australians compare loans, credit cards, savings and other banking products.